At Riverfield Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast we are very popular with golfers that visit this region of Ireland to enjoy the many golf courses available. For this reason we have provided you with a listing of the more popular golf courses that our visitors enjoy. Over the years we have gained a good appreciation of where the best golf courses are and we often advise our guests on which course would suit their ability and preferences. While some prefer the club bar at the end of their 18 holes, many golfers prefer to return to Riverfield for some of Gloria’s home cooking and hospitality.
1. COURTOWN GOLF CLUB, Courtown, Gorey. Founded in 1936, has a Par 71 18 hole course with a highly regarded and interesting layout. Every hole has unique features and particular features are the Par 3’s. It is a course to be enjoyed by scratch golfer and beginner alike. Tel: 053 9425166.
2. ENNISCORTHY GOLF CLUB, Knockmarshall, Enniscorthy This 18 hole, par 72 parkland is a delight to all who play it, with scenic views of the Leinster Mountains and the renowned quality of its greens. Located l.5 miles from Enniscorthy, on the New Ross road. Tel:053 9233191.
3. ST.HELENS BAY GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB, Kilrane, Co. Wexford. This 18 hole, par 72 is both a parkland and links course. Enjoy an amazing panorama of coast and rugged landscape overlooking Tuskar lighthouse. Located 10 minutes from the ferry terminal, signed from the village of Kilrane on the N25.
4. WEXFORD GOLF CLUB, Mulgannon, Wexford Town 18 hole, par 72 parkland course. Surrounded by amazing views of Wexford Town, the Saltee Islands and Wexford Harbour. Located 2 km from the town. Tel.053 9142238.
5. ROSSLARE GOLF CLUB, Rosslare Strand, Co. Wexford These 18 hole, par 72 and 9 hole, par 35 courses provide an excellent test of golf on a championship links beside the Irish sea. The 9 hole links was designed by Christy O’Connor jnr. Johnny Young, PGA Professional, and is available at the Golf Shop for any specialist advice you may desire.
13. SEAFIELD GOLF CLUB, Ballymoney, Gorey, Co.Wexford The eighteen hole 6,447 yard championship golf course at Seafield was designed by internationally renowned course designer Peter McEvoy. Course construction is to the highest USGA specifications. The natural surroundings, layout and the attention to detail will create playing conditions on a par with the best and most prestigious in the country. Golf pros and amateurs alike will find much to challenge and delight during long rounds of the eighteen at Seafield. Mature woodlands and water hazards of the front nine are in stark contrast to the long fairways, crosswinds and bunkers as play continues through the back nine down toward the sea and the stunning cliff top tees on the eleventh and seventeenth holes. The four hundred and twenty yard eighteenth brings play back to the sumptuous five star surroundings of the clubhouse at Seafield Golf and Country Club.
6. ARKLOW GOLF CLUB, Abbeylands, Arklow. Located within minutes of Arklow Town Centre, the course is a typical links course adjacent to the sea. It is playable all year round. Although Par 69 it is a championship links and presents a tough challenge for every handicap level. Tel/fax (0402)32492.
7. WOODENBRIDGE GOLF CLUB, Vale of Avoca, Arklow. Located 5 miles north of Arklow on the Arklow-Rathdrum road, the course is set in a natural golf amphitheatre in a valley surrounded by wooded slopes on all sides. Two rivers, the Avoca and the Aughrim, run through the course with many holes being played over river and lake water. Pheasant and duck abound offering tranquillity at its best. Tel/fax (0402) 35202.
8. WICKLOW GOLF CLUB, Co. Wicklow Established in 1904. Situated on cliffs overlooking Wicklow Bay, and set against the backdrop of the Wicklow Mountains, architects Craddock and Ruddy made full use of the natural contours and features of the terrain in an extension programme completed in 1994. It is a challenging and scenically spectacular test of golf with each hole having its own distinguishing feature. The drive on the 380 meters par four 6th hole is all carry over the craggy coast and inviting sea below. Wicklow has a long tradition as one of the friendliest clubs. Situated in Wicklow Town, 30 miles south of Dublin just off the main N11 Dublin/Rosslare Road Tel. (0404) 67379.
9. BLAINROE GOLF CLUB, Co. Wicklow Located 4 km south of Wicklow Town on the coast road to Brittas Bay the course is set on parkland terrain, but has extensive views of the Irish sea with some holes situated right on the coast. There are club and caddy car hire facilities. Tel. (0404) 68168.
10. THE EUROPEAN CLUB, Brittas Bay, Co. Wicklow. This is a tumbling rolling rising helter-skelter golfers delight. Elevated tees, greens, sea slide holes – definitely on for your enjoyment. The European is a wonderful presentation of modern links with a truly traditional quality. As designer/owner Pat Ruddy advises, one of the important principles of design is that the handicap golfer is meant to use a handicap stroke to achieve par. Need should be taken of this advice for the European is now rated among the top five in Ireland. Tel. (0404) 47415. Fax. (0404) 47449.
11. COOLLATTIN GOLF CLUB, Shillelagh, Co. Wicklow The Coolattin Golf Club registered with the GUI in 1962 when it was a nine hole course. It has now developed to an 18 hole course with a par of 70. The large oak trees are a special feature of the high and low handicap golfers. The new nine hole extension opened in 1998, was designed by Peter McEvoy one of the leading amateur golfers of this era. The new nine holes are built to U.S.G.A. standards. Tel/Fax 053 9429125.
12. GLENMALURE GOLF CLUB, Greenane, Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow 18 hole, Par 71, Golfing Union of Ireland affiliated. Situated in Glenmalure Hills with magnificent views. Buggy and trolley hire available. Tel (0404) 46679 Fax (0404) 46783.